1) Adversity leads to personal growth – Adversity may lead to the loss of wealth and status but lead to inner growth that would not have happened otherwise.
2) Crime does not pay – No matter how smart a criminal is the perfect crime is impossible. This may not necessarily be due to a hero but due to accidents, lack of honor among thieves and internal flaws that are part of being a criminal.
3) Death is part of the life – Literary works with this theme show how death and life and intricately connected.
4) Family comes first – Family is more important than wealth, career advancement, personal happiness, nationalism and/or other important things.
5) Good always triumphs over evil – The good guy always wins no matter what resources the villain has at his or her disposal.
6) Love conquers all – Love conquers all despite economic circumstances, geography, family objections and other obstacles.
7) Relationships requires sacrifice – This is the idea that you can’t have friends if you don’t act like a friend.
8) Revenge is poison – Revenge ultimately destroys the person who pursues revenge.
9) Sacrifices brings reward – Sacrifices and hard work pay off in the end, despite the challenges along the way.
10) Truth and happiness are not the same thing – Sometimes you have to choose between the truth and happiness. Oedipus finds out the truth about his father and mother but at the expense of his happiness.