You work for the fictional company Mickey portrayed in the film Fast Food Nation. Mickey has hired your company to deal with the public relations problems dealt with in the film. The students will break into six groups and come up with a public relations strategy to deal with each of the six “problems” identified in the Fast Food Nation film. The following public relations tools are at your disposal:
1) The film claims that there is cow manure in fast food hamburgers. How would you deal with the overall issue of food quality at Mickey’s?
2) In the film work at Mickey’s is portrayed as boring, dehumanizing, and even dangerous due to robberies. How would you deal with the overall issue of employment at Mickey’s?
3) In the film, how meat is processed is dealt with graphically and generally causes the audience to have a very negative view of the meat packing industry. How would you deal with this aspect of the industry?
4) The film mentions that cows produce huge amounts of methane and excrement that cause damage to the environment. What would be your overall public relations approach to the environment?
5) Interestingly, the film does not deal with the issue of how fast food causes obesity which is the single biggest criticism of fast food. On the other hand, the film Super Size Me focuses almost exclusively on this issue. What would be your overall public relations approach to the problem of fast food and obesity?