Trailblazing pioneers set out to conquer the west in the mid-19th century, but find the land already occupied. Wagon trains meet hardship on the road to California’s gold. The steamboat ushers in a new era of commerce, industry, and unprecedented wealth.
The student will be able to answer simple questions about America: The Story of Us: Episode 3 Westward.
1) Who is Daniel Boone?
2) What was the Lewis and Clark Expedition?
3) What are the Rocky Mountains like?
4) Why are beavers valuable during this time period?
5) What is a Grizzly bear like?
6) What is the Battle of the Alamo?
7) What is a Gold rush?
8) What is a wagon train?
9) What happened to the Donner Party?
10) What is the Mississippi River?
11) Classify and label some of the factors in America: The Story of Us: Episode 3 Westward as an incentive (I), aid (A) or obstacle (O) to American Westward expansion:
Beaver Trade ( ), Friendly Native Americans ( ), Gold in California ( ), Grizzly Bears ( ), Hostile Native Americans ( ), Mexican Government in Texas ( ), Mississippi River ( ), Rocky Mountains ( ) and Wagon Trains ( ).
Beaver Trade – Incentive
Friendly Native Americans – Aid
Gold in California – Incentive
Grizzly Bears – Obstacle
Hostile Native Americans – Obstacle
Mexican Government in Texas – Obstacle
Mississippi River – Aid
Rocky Mountains – Obstacle
Wagon Trains – Aid
Scribd worksheet at:
WereVerse Universe Baby!