1) Backup – this is an extra copy of a file or document
2) Browser – This is the program you use to browse files
3) Computer – An electronic machine that can store and process data. It has both hardware and software
4) Cursor – usually a small arrow on the screen that moves when you move the mouse
5) Data – Any information stored by a computer
6) Desktop – This is the screen that appears if you are not using the computer…this is the screen that has the icons on it.
7) Download – the process where you copy something from another computer or the Internet and then save it on your computer
8) Drag and Drop – you click on something and hold the button down. This will move the objects you clicked on and will move it to the location that you let go of the button.
9) E-mail – a way to send a message from one computer to another
10) FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
11) Graphic – This is a picture or image.
12) Homepage – This is the first page you see when you open your internet.
13) Icon – This is a small symbol or picture that represents a program or other things
14) Internet – Computers that are connected like a web so you can see what other computer operators show you and you can show them things as well.
15) Keyboard – this is where all the letters, numbers , and other buttons are located. This is what you type on
16) Laptop – A small portable device
17) Logon- you have to do this to get access to a computer. It can be a certain name or code.
18) Memory- this is the data that a computer stores
19) Modem- Converts digital data into analog data, so it can be sent over phone lines.
20) Monitor – The screen that shows you what you are doing.
21) Mouse- A little device that you move with your hand which then moves the cursor on the screen
22) Password- this is a secret word or code that protects your data and can keep others from accessing your information
23) Printer- The computer sends information to the printer and it prints it out onto paper.
24) Right Click- when you right click the mouse you are given a menu of options to do.
25) Scanner- A device that scans something that is flat and sends the image to the computer
26) Screensaver- this is a picture that pops up when you are not using the computer
27) Shortcut- when you click on an icon it is a shortcut to a file or program.
28) Software- This all the instructions for the computer or a program designed to do different things
29) Speakers- These are the devices that the sounds come out of which are sometimes built into the monitor
30) Task bar – The bar beside the start button that shows what programs are open.
31) URL- the address of documents and resources on the internet
32) User- anyone using a computer
33) Virus- Software that was written to do bad stuff to your computer
34) Wallpaper- A picture or design on your desktop for decoration
35) WWW- World Wide Web—group of internet servers linking computers around the world