Robots can be classified by components such as their type of locomotion or kinematics. This approach works very well when only industrial robots are being classified. As robots have become more ubiquitous and complex this component centered system of classification has become less relevant to the general study of robotics. This lesson will focus on classifying robots by their application.
1) The student will be able to classify robots by application.
2) The student will be able to discuss specific functions of specific robots.
1) Industrial robot – ABB Robot
2) Humanoid robot – Asimo
If you owned Asimo then what would you do with him?
3) Humanoid robot – HRP-4C
Sexy or creepy?
4) Domestic robot – iRobot Rumba
How much would you pay for a Rumba?
5) Rover – Mars Rover
6) Military robot – Predator
Would you ever buy a drone?
What would you do with a drone?
7) Medical robot – Riba
10 Medical Advances Thanks to Robotics
8) Military robot – TALON
9) Toy robot – Zoomer
Robot Classification Worksheet at:
Other Robot Lessons:
Robot Component Acronym – Pelham’s
WereVerse Universe Baby!