What is STAR?
STAR stands for Situation–Task–Action–Result:
Situation – An event, project, or challenge faced
Task – Your responsibilities and assignments for the situation
Action – Steps or procedure taken to relieve or rectify situation
Result – Results of actions taken.
1) Can you describe a stressful situation and how you handled it?
2) Can you detail a mistake you made and how you reacted to it?
3) Describe a time when you went above and beyond.
4) Do you have any experience handling a cross-cultural problem and if so, how did you handle this problem?
5) Give me an example of a goal you couldn’t meet and how you handled it.
6) Give me an example of a goal you met.
7) Have you ever dealt with a sticky situation involving another department?
8) Have you ever had a disagreement with an immediate supervisor?
9) Tell me about a time when you had to placate an unsatisfied client.
10) Tell me about a time when you performed well under enormous pressure.
11) Tell me about a time you had a conflict at work.
Job interview tips: the STAR method
Questions Asked in a STAR Interview
The STAR Method
Use the STAR Method with the following interview questions:
- Describe your best/worst boss.
- Do you have any questions for me?
- Give an example of how you solved a problem in the past.
- Give an example of when you were able to contribute to a team project.
- Give an example where you showed leadership and initiative.
- How do others describe you?
- How do you think you will fit into this operation?
- If you were hired, what ideas/talents could you contribute to the position or our company?
- In a job, what interests you most/least?
- Tell me about your education.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Think about something you consider a failure in your life, and tell me why you think it happened.
- What are your strengths?
- What do you consider your best accomplishment in your last job?
- What have you done to develop or change in the last few years?
- What is your major weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in three years?
- Why are you interested in working for this company?
- Why have you chosen this particular field?